The First Miracle
Posted by Karah
Pray that you would see God’s glory displayed in the miracles we study this week and His works in your own life.
“Jesus performed this first sign in Cana of Galilee. He displayed His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.” —John 2:11
Read John 2:1-11 in your Bible. Ask yourself:
• Highlight the phrase “do whatever He tells you” (v.5). How does this show Mary’s faith in Jesus? How does this instruction apply to you today?
• Each jar contained _____ to _____ gallons, and there were ____ jars. These jars were “filled…to the brim” (v. 7). In sum, the amount of water Jesus turned to wine was at least 120 gallons; it wasn’t like Jesus turned a few small pitchers of water to wine. Jesus demonstrated His authority over nature by doing something that seemed impossible—changing water into wine. Biblical scholars suggest that the sign could also be considered a manifestation of His glory.
• Knowing this, what was the point of Jesus turning water into wine at the Cana wedding?
• What was the result of Jesus’ displaying His glory (v. 11)? How does reading this account help you to see His glory? Explain.
• The general definition of glory includes words like magnificent, renown, and honor. In your own words, describe actions that display these characteristics today.
Magnificent Renown Honor
• When have you seen God’s glory through something He accomplished in your life? Journal about that experience.
• For further study on the glory of God revealed through Jesus, read Philippians 2:9-11.
BEHIND THE STORY
The word for “glory” in John 1:14 is doxa, from the Old Testament word kabod, “which implies the mighty power of God evidenced in epiphanies or perceived manifestations of that power.”¹ Jesus’ display of glory in turning water into wine demonstrates His deity and the truth that God acted through Him in the New Testament.
Jesus’ works displayed His glory.
¹Gerald L. Borchet, New American Commentary – Volume 25A: John, (Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 1996), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, p. 157-158.
Posted in Devotions, Girls | Tagged Camp Crestridge for Girls, Reprinted from ec magazine. @ 2016 LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention, Ridgecrest Summer Camps, Weekly Devotions