Compassion Leads to Action
Posted by Karah
As you read your devotion today, consider this quote from D. L. Moody: “His is a loving, tender hand, full of sympathy and compassion.”
This miracle was the first account of Jesus raising someone from the dead. As you studied last month, He also raised Jairus’ daughter and Lazarus. Glance at the definition of compassion below. Define the term in your own words.
“When the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her and said, ‘Don’t cry.’ Then He came up and touched the open coffin, and the pallbearers stopped. And He said, ‘Young man, I tell you, get up!’” —Luke 7:13-14
Read Luke 7:11-15 in your own Bible. Think about the following:
• This lady had nothing. She was a widow and about to bury her only son -she probably had no other means of financial support. Knowing this, how does Jesus’ reaction to her plight reveal His compassion?
• What was the outcome of this miracle (v. 16)? How would you react?
• List some ways Jesus raising this young man from the dead mirrors the salvation Christ offers to believers.
COMPASSION (n.)= Loving concern for the hurting or unfortunate.
During Jesus’ earthly ministry, He only raised three people from the dead. Why not more? These miracles weren’t about people, they were about Him—to show that He was the Son of God and to offer salvation to the world.
• When have you experienced Jesus’ power in your life? Have you experienced Him work a miracle for you? Is there one you need to ask for now? Journal your response.
• Do you know people who need compassionate love? In your journal, list some places you can go to show compassion to the hurting and needy people around you. Then, record how you will carry out your plan.
• For further study on the miracle of salvation, read Ephesians 2:1-9 and Colossians 2:13-15.
BEHIND THE STORY
Jewish customs included an open coffin during a funeral, but anyone touching the corpse became ceremonially unclean. This was one of the many radical things Jesus did that went against tradition during His earthly ministry, causing much stir among the Jewish leaders. (1)
Jesus’ compassion for the woman showed His love, yet He also showed His power by raising the boy from the dead.
(1)Holman Christian Standard Study Bible (Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers, 2010), 1749.
Posted in Devotions, Girls | Tagged Camp Crestridge for Girls, Reprinted from ec magazine. @ 2015 LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention, Ridgecrest Summer Camps, Weekly Devotions