Posted on April 6, 2018 by Elise Moffatt
WOW! What a year this has been. Being an intern has been full of so much fun, laughter, hard work, challenges and lots of good times with Scout. There are SO many things I could tell you all about being an intern!!!! But here are a few of my favorite things:
1. Traveling! Traveling to different cities to see campers and staff has been such a treat. We were able to go to various universities to recruit new staffers and see previous staffers. We also got to see campers and meet families. Just imagine hours and hours of jamming to music in the car with Becky Haltiwanger!!! Oh yes, we had a blast for sure.
2. Hiring staff!!!! As an intern, I have had the chance to walk our applicants through the hiring process. Interviewing our applicants has been SO much fun. There were many incredible girls with huge heart’s for Jesus that applied to camp this year. Being able to hear about their desire to spread the Gospel to our campers has been such an encouragement to me throughout this year.
3. THE COMMUNITY! Wow, this community is amazing. Living and working with the other intern, Becky, has been THE BEST!!!!! With her, there has been tons and tons of laughter, video making, traveling, quality conversation, friendship and unity through the Gospel. I am absolutely confident that Sharon and Ashley are the BEST bosses that anyone could ever have. They are endlessly gracious. They are confidently humble. They are selfless, hard working and inspire you to be your best. Working with the Ridgecrest staff has also been such an incredible and important part of this community. Being able to work with and learn from our brothers in Christ has been awesome. And last but not least, I got to hang out with SCOUT every day!!!!!
4. Cleaning the pool!!! I’m not going to lie, scrubbing the pool can be fun! It is so nice to be able to go outside and enjoy the beauty of camp while working on something that is so important to our campers!
5. Individual growth! At camp, we challenge our campers and staffers to grow in four areas: spiritually, mentally, socially, and physically. This year has been full of challenges and growth for me personally! I have grown socially as I have met new staffers and campers and embraced the community in Black Mountain. I have grown mentally as I have learn many new skills, organizational techniques and collaboration. I have grown physically as I have been working out with the Ridgecrest interns (lol). And I have grown spiritually in my walk with the Lord as I have come to understand more of his unconditional love and pursuit of me through my brokenness!
6. Lastly, my very favorite thing about working at camp is being able to facilitate an environment where the Gospel is shared!!!! Sharing the Good News of what Jesus has done for us is the MOST important part of life and camp! I am so grateful that the Lord has given me an opportunity to participate in his Kingdom Work through being an intern. We have hired an incredible staff and we are prayerfully approaching the summer. We pray that each of our campers will get to hear the Good News of Jesus and believe that his sacrifice is sufficient for us!
Being an intern has been such a blessing. I have been so thankful for this opportunity and all of the things that the Lord has allowed me to learn along with way. But, we aren’t finished yet!!!!!!! We are SO excited for this summer!!!!!! WILL YA’LL JUST GET HERE ALREADY!!!!!????
Posted on February 23, 2018 by Becky Haltiwanger
We finally got in touch with one of the biggest personalities at Camp Crestridge! He’s been hard to get a hold of due to his busy schedule, which includes, but is not limited to, chasing Indie, playing in the lake, and sleeping by Sharon’s desk. He’s one of the funnest guys to be around and is so excited to see all his camp friends again this summer! Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you’ve been waiting for, it’s time for a coffee and convo with SCOUT AYLESTOCK!! *AIR HORN NOISES*
Me: So tell me Scout, what is your favorite part about being a dog?
Scout: Well, I love to run around and chase my friends! Camp is so big and there are so many places to explore and find good sticks! I’M A VERY LUCKY DOG!
Me: Where is your favorite place to play at Crestridge?
Scout: THE LAKE! I have so much fun jumping in and cooling off and hanging out with all the campers! I also love sleeping in my mommy’s office chair…it’s a good spot.
Me: What is your favorite campfire song?
Scout: I’m not usually at campfire because I get really tired after dinner and all the rocks distract me, but the times I have been there I really like that sheep song! “I just want to be a sheep BARK BARK BARK BARK!”
Me: How do you feel that people can buy a sticker of your face?
Scout: YOU CAN BUY A STICKER OF ME?! WHAT AN HONOR!
Me: What is your favorite thing to get at store?
Scout: My mom won’t let me eat store but I love creating new friendships with campers! OR PLAY TETHERBALL.
Me: What is your favorite part about camp?
Scout: That my mommy is there!! She’s the coolest person you’ll ever meet!
Me: What is your guilty pleasure?
Scout: I like fighting with rocks…but my mommy doesn’t like it…
Me: If you could only choose to play one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Scout: “Who Let the Dogs Out!” by Baha Men, it’s my jam!
Me: What is your Indian name?
Scout: TERRIFIC TERRIER. JUST KIDDING. I just like being called SCOUT, sometimes people call me Scoot, I answer to either.
Me: If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Scout: Run a marathon! Become a famous Instagramer! Star in movies! Become the next dog superhero! Go to Disney World! Meet Snoopy or Pluto, they seem like cool guys! Rule the World! Mwahahahaha! Just kidding, I haven’t thought of that plan yet…
Me: What is your favorite thing to do on the weekend?
Scout: Watch TV on my mommy’s comfy coach! My favorite TV shows are Scooby Doo Where Are You, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Wishbone. I also like movies, some of my favorite are Secret Life of Pets, Air Bud, Beethoven, Bolt, Homeward Bound, Milo & Otis, 101 Dalmatians, Benji, All Dogs Go to Heaven, The Fox and the Hound, and Lady & the Tramp (for the times I’m feeling romantic).
Me: If you had to have a job what would it be?
Scout: I HAVE THE BEST JOB OUT THERE, BEING A CAMP DOG! I GET TO HANGOUT WITH ALL MY FRIENDS ALL THE TIME! I GET TO EXPLORE AND SPEND TIME WITH MY MOMMY! But I guess if I have to do something I’d want to be a Petrologists…they study rocks…
Me: What is your favorite skill to do at camp!
Scout: RUNNING SKILL! I LOVE CHASING ALL THE CAMPERS AROUND! I apologize to anyone I accidentally trip…
Me: Do you have an Instagram account?
Scout: Yes! It’s wheres_scout, FOLLOW ME AND SEE ALL THE FUN PLACES I CAN BE FOUND.
Me: What is your…wait, oh no! Scout don’t go chase that squirrel!! Well I guess that’s all we have time for today folks! Thank you for tuning into another Coffee and Convo! Catch Scout this summer hanging out by the BearTrap with his mommy Sharon! He’s pumped to play around with you!!
Scout: “BARK BARK! SEE YOU THEN!”
Posted on January 26, 2018 by Becky Haltiwanger
Take this quiz and find out your Crestridge Tribal Name!
Here’s what your Crestridge team got…
Ron – Loyal Lion
Karah – Loyal Lion
Elise – Exuberant Elephant
Becky – Playful Platypus
Ashley – Faithful Fawn
Sharon – Courageous Cougar
Aaaaaannnnddd Scout is a Loyal Lion!
Comment on Facebook what your tribal name is!
Posted on January 5, 2018 by Sharon
Have you made any New Year’s resolutions? Now’s the time to do so. It’s always a challenge to keep up with them throughout the year but it’s a good way to challenge yourself to do something new or different! Here are 8 resolution ideas to get you ready for camp this summer!
1. Walk up and down at least one staircase a day to get your legs ready for the hikes and climbs around camp.
2. Learn how to build a fire with wet wood so you can be prepared for those rainy Tuesday night cookouts!
3. Sit outside for two hours every afternoon with your Chacos on so you can get a good Chaco tan!
4. Stretch for 10 minutes every Sunday night so you can maximize your dance moves for Singspiration.
5. Find a trampoline and learn how to do the “flying squirrel” so you can do it off the diving board.
6. Work up to running 20mph so you can keep up with Scout.
7. Drink 64 oz of water a day so you can stay hydrated this summer.
8. Do this for 20 minutes a day to build up your arm strength the endless hours of 4-square.
Good luck with your New Year’s resolutions!
Posted on November 24, 2017 by Sharon
Hey Camp Family!
Our Fall Bear Tracks Newsletter was just mailed out! For those who were not at camp this past summer, we wanted to give you an opportunity to see it! We’re bringing the Cherokee Wilderness program back this coming summer so be sure to read more about it! You’ll also want to check out our upcoming Sockwar Challenge! We’re almost to the halfway point to summer. It’ll be here before we know it!
Posted on October 13, 2017 by Ashley Genoble
Hey camp family! It’s a quiet afternoon around the office today. The rest of the team is all out and about doing a variety of things to make camp awesome. So it’s just me and my cup of coffee hanging out together. I know I sure enjoyed coffee and convo with Becky and Elise so I figured why not let you in on the convo I’m having with myself while I drink my coffee!
Me to self: What has been the best part about coming back to camp after being gone for 5 years?
Self: Oh gosh! Literally everything! Being back in the mountains (especially now that the leaves are changing!), introducing my husband to the camp family, meeting so many awesome new campers and staff that have joined the family since I’ve been gone, seeing past campers all grown up and joining staff, spending tons of time with Sharon (and Scout!), I could go on and on but should probably move on…
Me to self: What is your favorite song we sing in the dining hall?
Self: I don’t do favorites!! But I guess any that we get to stand in our chair for! I really like Farther Along because of the stomp clap clap and the slower Ky Yi at the end.
Me to self: What is your favorite Bible story?
Self: There we go again with “favorites”. It really depends on the season and what’s going on in my life. I really liked studying the story of Esther a couple of months ago. It is full of so many intricate details that shows God at work. Esther is also an example of boldness, courage and humility.
Me to self: If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Self: Wow I love sleep and thank God He made it part of our day. But if He hadn’t then I would have a solid 7-8 more hours to read, work out, clean, spend more quality time with friends and family, paint my nails, the list goes on and on!
Me to self: What are some small things that make your day better?
Self: A text from a friend I haven’t talked to in a while, bright blue skies, Scout falling asleep in my lap.
Me to self: What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
Self: Definitely Israel. Man that plane ride and jet lag were no joke but totally worth it!
Me to self: If you suddenly became a master at woodworking, what would you make?
Self: Maybe I can by taking the woodworking skill at camp! Definitely some fun furniture- a coffee table and a big kitchen table so we can have people over. I’m so inexperienced at woodworking I don’t even know what professional woodworkers can make!
Me to self: Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
Self: Hmm…it’s tempting to say read minds but that takes all the fun out of getting to talk to people. Teleporting would allow me to visit people and places all over without having to fly…not a fan of flying.
Me to self: What is the silliest thing you get nostalgic for?
Self: All the movies on VHS at my parents’ house…especially my complete collection of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movies and Dunkaroos…
Me to self: If you could pick a slogan for your life, what would it be?
Self: “Love you, mean it” has become my go-to phrase, especially while I was in full-time youth ministry. I just want people to know how truly loved they are by me and Jesus!
Me to self: Alright Ashley, that’s enough. You are out of coffee and have work to do!
Thanks for hanging out with me and my cup of coffee! Can’t wait until we can hang out for real this summer! And in case you are wondering, Scout still hasn’t returned Becky’s call so keep checking back to see if we ever get to interview him! Love you, mean it!!
Posted on May 5, 2017 by Grace Arant
I have a new friend that I want you to meet! His/her name is _________, (name of dog from home) he/she is very _________. (adjective) You’d like him/her a lot. He/She is so _____________! (adjective) He/She loves to _________ (verb) and will make anyone ___________. (verb) His/her favorite village would definitely be the __________ (Crestridge village) village because he/she is so ___________. (adjective) He/she would spend all of his/her time there in/at the ___________. (place at camp)
His/her favorite activity of the day would be ____________. (activity at camp) because he/she loves to __________ (verb) with the __________. (noun plural)
One time, he/she accidentally ______________ (past-tense verb). It was a disaster!! ____________ (person) had to _____________ (verb) in order to fix the chaos, but there were too many ____________ (noun plural). All we could do was ___________! (verb) So everybody had to _____________ (adverb) ______________ (verb). It was crazy!
I love him/her and I know you would, too! Wish I could bring him/her to Camp, but I can’t wait to __________ (verb) with you this summer!
______________ (your name)
Posted on October 25, 2016 by Sharon
#5: If you can’t be at your favorite place, you might as well read about it!
#4: Green & White is obviously everyone’s favorite colors!
#3: We spend hours coming up with fun things to share with you to keep you excited about the summer!
#2: Who knows, if you comment on our posts and ask Amanda and Grace to do something crazy, they may actually do it!
And last but certainly not least (maybe even the best reason)…
#1: Scout reads it, why shouldn’t you?